In 1942 Jeanette was retired from acting and living with her husband Bert Friedlob at 702 N. Crescent Drive. On Saturday, August 1 she swallowed a bottle of ammonia and was taken to the the hospital with severe burns on her mouth and throat. Jeanette spent three days at Hollywood Presbyterian hospital before she passed away from ammonia poisoning on August 4, 1942. She was only thirty-five years old. Although her official cause of death was "probable suicide" her husband Bert said she had swallowed the ammonia accidentally. She had been taking medication for stomach problems and may have grabbed the wrong bottle. Her family has always believed that she was murdered. Jeanette was cremated and her ashes are buried at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale, California. Her crypt is located in the Great Mausoleum. When her younger sister Myrtle passed away in 1957 she was buried there too.
Jeanette's grave Her death certificate